It’s been a while since I’ve built my current home lab. It’s based on Lenovo M910t. In general, I’m quite happy but it’s lacking expansion flexibility.
So I’m looking for a replacement. Below my notes from research and calculations of total cost.
New system components
[table id=2 /]
- Do I really need 16-cores/32-threads AMD 1950X? Perhaps 12-cores/24-threads 1920X for 2699 PLN (1k less!) would be sufficient?
- CPU cooling fans may not have enough clearance to populate all 8 RAM sockets? Answer here.
- Is it possible to use 6 RAM DIMMs? User guide says that allowed configurations are 1, 2, 4 & 8. This forum thread advises that any even number of DIMMs is perfectly supported.
- 8x 3.5” HDD case or 6x 3.5” HDD + 3x 5.25” bays for my old Icy Docks bay?
- What’s the min width to fit 155mm-high CPU cooling? Phanteks Enthoo Pro can fit max 193 mm cooling -> OK
Does the CPU cooler has enough clearance for all RAM DIMMs?
And how does it look on the picture:
After deeper deliberations (it’s hell lot of money! And I’m completely self-funded… Also Threadripper 2 is about to be released on August) I decided:
- Immediately buy 2x 4 TB WD Blue disks and replace my Storage1 pool 3x 2 TB → 3x 4 TB which should give me enough disk space
- Wait till August and see how (and if) release of new CPUs and MB chipset X399 change the situation.
Regardless of all, this was quite interesting exercise!